Resources to ensure families are equipped to play a central role in decision making with providers.
On this page:
Partnering with Your Child’s Provider
As your child’s most consistent caregiver, you know your CYSHCN in a way that no one else does. To ensure your child’s health care needs are met, it’s important to develop partnerships with your child’s doctors and other providers.
Partnering with Your Child’s Health Plan
Families play a critical role in partnering with their child’s provider. They often coordinate their child’s health care among several providers. Health plans can benefit from learning more about CYSHCN from families who have been there, done that.
In this Tip Sheet:
- — Identifying Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs
- — Ensuring Appropriate Care
- — Primary Care and Specialty Care Referrals
- — Mental Health and Behavioral Health Services
- — Care Coordination and Case Management
- — Resolving Disagreements About Care
- — Involving Families in Policy and Program Activities
- — Ready to be a Family Leader?
Engaging Families in Improving the Health Care Systems for CYSHCN
Fact Sheet, Lucile Packard Foundation for Children’s Health
Evidence shows patient outcomes improve when health providers who care for CYSHCN actively partner with families and caregivers, in what is known as family-centered care.