How Does the PEAL Center
Help Educators & Professionals?
Educators and professionals in Pennsylvania can refer parents of children with disabilities to the PEAL Center as a safe and confidential support that helps families to develop strategies and problem solve any situation. PEAL facilitates effective communication skills for educators and families so that all parties can work together to support the needs and strengths of the child.
When a family contacts PEAL they are immediately connected to trained Parent Advisors, who have children with disabilities and/or special health care needs themselves and can offer evidence-based, peer-to-peer information and expertise. PEAL serves families of children with all kinds of disabilities whether they are physical, learning, emotional, cognitive, sensory, etc. Disabilities can be mild to significant or the child could be struggling in school and a family doesn’t know why.
Parent Advisors provide one on one information for professionals and educators who support families of children with disabilities and/or special health care needs. Individualized assistance is given through support and referrals by phone, email or in-person. PEAL’s services and expertise are not limited to one disability category or age group, and the majority of our services are available in both English and Spanish.
The PEAL Center is designated by the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP).
How Do I Refer a Family to the PEAL Center?
Families seeking support can be connected to a Parent Advisor, Monday – Friday from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM, by:
- Phone: 866-950-1040 (Toll Free)
- Email: [email protected]
After I Send the Referral, What Can a Family Expect?
- Parent Advisor sessions are provided at no cost to families.
- A timely connection to a trained Parent Advisor.
- Safe and confidential support.
- Services in both English and Spanish.
- A resource to their family, as needed, for their child’s entire educational journey.
What Kind of Training and Information Does PEAL Offer to Educators and Other Professionals?
In addition to assisting families, PEAL collaborates with education, early childhood, rehabilitation, and medical communities to create systems changes that improve outcomes for children. We do this by offering:
- Community Workshops & Trainings
- Learn more about PEAL’s upcoming workshops and events in Pennsylvania
- Online Webinars
- Archives and recordings of past training that can benefit educators and professionals
- Customized Trainings. To request a training, fill-out this form.