Employment at the PEAL Center
The PEAL Center is looking for a new Executive Director.
The Board of Directors of PEAL is seeking highly qualified candidates for the position of Executive Director. The Board desires to complete the search and select an Executive Director by September 2021.
The mission of the PEAL Center is to educate and empower families to ensure that children, youth and young adults with disabilities and special health care needs lead rich, active lives as full members of their schools and communities.
The Parent Education and Advocacy Leadership Center (PEAL) is the statewide Parent Training and Information Center (PTI) for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. PEAL receives its primary funding from the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP) to provide training and support to parents of students with disabilities throughout the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. PEAL also works on other related programs including Parent Leadership, and the state and federal funding priorities supporting families, youth and young adults with disabilities and special health care needs. The PEAL Center employs 16 staff members who provide consultation and training to parents. PEAL’s headquarters and the Executive Director’s office are located in Pittsburgh, PA. PEAL also has an office with staff in Philadelphia, and the Board would consider candidates that would select that work location.
The Board desires to fill the position with a strong leader and advocate who promotes the mission and vision of the organization and maintains its focus on the organization’s goals, plans, and policies. The successful candidate is expected to promote a positive public image of the PEAL Center and promote collaborative relationships with other programs and partner agencies. The organization is seeking candidates with experience in the special education process and supporting the role of parents in the process. Successful candidates will demonstrate knowledge and skills in project management, supervision, advocacy, and training. Candidates should demonstrate an understanding of agencies that support parents and Pennsylvania’s educational system.
The Executive Director is responsible for the leadership and overall management of the PEAL Center and supervision of its staff. The Executive Director is expected to plan and facilitate no less than four board meetings per year, travel to periodic meetings in Harrisburg, Philadelphia, and other areas of the state, and participate in OSEP sponsored meetings in Washington, D.C. and other locations as necessary.
The Interim Executive Director is in place and will be available for a period of transition. In order to be considered for the position, applicants must submit a complete application, with all information requested, no later than June 30, 2021.
PEAL Center Executive Director Application Requirements:
Applicants must submit all of the following information, as outlined below between June 7, 2021, and midnight June 30, 2021. Applications will NOT be accepted after 12 midnight, June 30th, 2021. Incomplete applications will NOT be considered.
Submit through our web portal:
- Application information, including releases and three references (two professional and one personal) and a professional resume.
- Personal statement of no more than 450 words. Your personal statement should provide your views on parent advocacy and leadership and your vision for the PEAL Center for the next five years.
- Original background check reports that are dated no earlier than October 1, 2020, as follows:
- Federal Criminal History Report (FBI) to be obtained through the PA Dept. of Human Services (DHS). Register on the IdentoGo website, www.identogo.com. Be sure to obtain the Dept. of Human Services Report and enclose the original report with your application.
- Child Abuse Clearance to be obtained through the DHS Child Welfare Portal at www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis/public/home
- Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check to be obtained at https://epatch.state.pa.us/
For additional information and to apply, click here.